Sunday, November 11, 2012

Last Minute Thanksgiving Plans

Seeing that I am sitting here writing my plans for next week and trying to incorporate some fun Thanksgiving stuff and favorite read alouds...I thought I would share with you!

This is what I came up with...I made some things (which I will try to share) and I took or bought some other things of which I got more ideas from (which I will try and share the links).

First of all is this great Cornucopia of Thanks. I have used this for a few years. Not only do they make the cornucopia using the glyph/legend but I have my students write a paragraph describing their choices, and as to why they choose them. I have them put everything on a long sheet of construction paper and laminate them, they look so pretty. This one I did buy a year or two ago, but as I said well worth it and being able to use it over and over every year.

http://teacherexpress.scholastic.com/subject/math/early-math/cornucopia-of-thanks-fall-glyph-activity

One of my favorite Thanksgiving books is: One is a Feast for Mouse


There are a couple of activities I am going to do with this one. I found a great package of Language Arts WS to use with this: http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Thanksgiving-Literacy-Unit-One-is-a-Feast-for-Mouse

But I also added a few more fun activities: vocabulary booklet, stack your own mouse with a Thanksgiving feast, and a summarizing activity.

Finally there is a cute You Tube video for a trailer for this book...very cute:



Okay moving on to the next book: A Turkey for Thanksgiving


Again Cutsey Clickables has a great little packet to use (I didn't buy this one, just saw it actually):

However I did get some great ideas from this packet (to make a turkey survival kit, such a cute idea):

And you can always discuss point of view with this story!

The final book I am going to use is: 'Twas the Night Before Thanksgiving


We will discuss the parody. I will also have them write down the ways they are similar. Lastly they will make a turkey with a thought bubble and have the turkey trying to persuade kids to take him as a pet, or something with Save a Turkey, Eat More...!

Well those are few of my ideas for this last week before Thanksgiving. I hope you enjoy and make it through!