Saturday, March 10, 2012

Collecting Work

I'm not sure why, but I thought I had posted something about how I collect classwork. But when a follower posted a comment as to how I do this I searched through old posts and found nothing. So thank you for bringing it to my attention.

It's pretty simple, yet very effective. I don't know why it took me 4yrs into my teaching career to figure it out...but it is the one procedure that I never change!


Okay so this is how it is set up in my classroom, you can find the file folder pocket charts at any school supply store. I use regular file folders, as pictured below. You can find the printable here as well as the printable for my weekly behavior chart that I staple inside of the folder, Behavior Management Plan




On the tab of each (after laminating) I put each student's name on them as well as their number. I usually have to place two to three folders in each pocket (on the left side, complete). I also put their numbers on laminated cards or di-cuts and staple them to the pocket chart where their folder belongs. So for example the first pocket will have 1-2 stapled to the side (just to keep their folders in order and where they belong).

All of the folders start in the complete side. As the week progresses and classwork assignments are given the students have two options: if they complete their work they put it in their folder and keep it on the complete side, however, if they are still working on it and we are moving on they then put their assignment in their folder and move the folder to the not complete side. Again keeping their folder in the correct order. During the day/week when they finish something early or we have a few free minutes they go over to their folder and grab that unfinished assignment to complete. Once they finish their assignment they can move their folder back to the complete side.

This procedure helps with MANY things. First is that NOTHING ends up in their desk. Now I am not saying this NEVER happens (just desk dumped one of my student's desks this week as a matter of fact, and found an ENTIRE box of used, yes used, tissues as well as 5 missing assignments and numerous other homework and group work papers...it was horrible). But for the most part the students are really great about putting their work in the folders.

The next thing this helps with is when I am ready to grade/collect work I simply grab all of the folders in number order. Then I go through each folder and sort out their work. As I do this I am able to see who is finished and who is not, if there is still time for the students to complete the work I leave the assignment in the folder, if it is close to the end of the week or they need to be in study hall I take the assignment out and make a separate pile for study hall. As I am sorting because the folders are already in number order...after I grade...well entering them into the gradebook is quick!!!! Then even one step further, they are still in order when I go to file them for their Friday Folders!

Also to bring a little SPRING into your day...here is a pic of my most recent bucket, don't forget to stop by and "like" us at Quite a Pear!



Hope this helps!
~Jessica